Civil Engineer - Trench Safety Job
Job Title: Civil Engineer- Trench Safety
Location : Greensboro, NC
Street Address: 7B Oak Branch Drive
The engineer is a degreed engineering graduate responsible for the engineering support of multiple profit centers within the Trench Safety Division. This position is dedicated to meeting the Trench Safety engineering needs of contractors, industrial and commercial companies, and in doing so, drives profitable engineering revenue for the Division and Company. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
For existing and new customer contractors, create shoring, shielding, and other structural support systems for site-specific trench and excavation projects. This position produces shoring design plans and supporting calculations for trench/excavation projects throughout assigned locations.
- Provide engineering consultation to sales representatives on site specific shoring projects;
- Evaluate site conditions and design safe, effective, and structurally-sound shoring systems that promote jobsite efficiency and practicality in the field;
- Create site specific conceptual drawings for proposals.
- Ensure engineering drawings and plans are accurate and meet applicable engineering design standards and Federal State specific OSHA requirements;
- Perform engineering calculations for design projects
- Assess situations that arise during field installation and recommend corrective actions;
- Determine design solutions for equipment modifications. Provide plans in a timely manner to branches and customers to maintain customer revenue and positive relationships;
Estimate project costs and prepare proposals for customers. The incumbent establishes the original sales price for the site-specific design and provides the salesperson and selling branch with the proposal and copies of the plan as required throughout the assigned locations.
- B. S. in mechanical, structural or civil engineering, or related engineering field.
- Familiarity with AISC ASD or LRFD.
- Familiarity with basic structural engineering analysis and design standards
- Familiarity with basic soil properties, testing procedures, and interpretation of geotechnical data
- 2+ years experience as a degreed engineer with a structural or geotechnical engineering concentration. Certified as an Engineer-in-Training (EIT)/Engineering Intern (EI) or has met the eligibility requirements to sit for the Fundamentals of Engineering exam.
- Proficient in the the OSHA Excavation Standard 1926 Subpart P. and related standards;
- Experience with Autocad, Mathcad, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Must be able to effectively work independently, as well as within a team environment.
- Must be able to prioritize work and effectively manage time and multiple tasks to meet deadlines
- Must be able to effectively work with customers and sales representatives to conceptually plan and negotiate shoring system designs;
- Must be able to set up computer and printers and install engineering software.
- Strong organizational skills and fine attention to detail;
- Strong business acumen
United Rentals, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Back to top