Tax Analyst - Sales & Use Job
Job Title: Tax Analyst, Sales & Use
Location : Temple Terrace, FL
Street Address: 12802 Tampa Oaks Boulevard
Monthly, quarterly and annual preparation and filing of all required US and Canadian sales use tax returns and gross receipts returns. Maintain monthly sales and use tax permits and state and local business licenses. Review and process sales tax exemption certificates. Ensure tax calendar for sales and use tax filings and/or licenses are maintained to reflect current filing requirements. Compile, analyze, and research data for licenses & sales tax return compliance and audits. Work with business units to ensure timely, complete, and accurate information is obtained and provided to support tax return filings.
Monthly Duties will include:
Review and approval of exemption certificates from branches and/or customers, including:
- approving or rejecting exemption certificates by conducting research and obtaining any additional documentation based upon analysis of various state sales tax rules governing exemption certificates
- determining good faith acceptance using statute standards
- corresponds with customers, branches and credit offices validity determination
- changing and monitoring tax flags in Rentalman
- electronically storing pertinent documentation and/or certificates
Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual sales tax returns, gross receipts returns, annual reports including:
- Analyzing the tax trends to determine current numbers reasonableness
- Reviewing customer transactions for accuracy of sales tax calculations. Reconciling tax data imported from Vertex to United Rentals data
- Identifying variances to be researched and resolved by making adjustments to returns
- Performing research with respect to sales and use tax notices and responses as needed
- Prepare, review and process funding request
Monitor and retain business operation notifications, including:
- storing business licenses electronically and forwarding copies to the pertinent branch and/or regional office
- researching and preparing appropriate registration forms
- updating compliance calendar to ensure future registration and reporting obligations are met on time
Issue and Monitor Sales Tax Credit and Debit Memos:
- downloading exemption certificates and cross reference with customer and sales data to support memo issuance
- run comparison reports and analyze the results to remove questionable transactions
- ensure compliance and identify any issuance errors
- respond to customer and branch inquiries on memos
- Closely work with compliance team to identify jurisdictions where United Rentals may need to register for sales & use tax purposes.
- Timely preparation, review, and filing of registration or occupation business license fees including maintaining a database or worksheet of historical changes with respect to United Rentals operations. Analyzing data to determine current numbers reasonableness. Review and execute funding requests.
- Vendor Exemption Requests: provide vendors with properly executed exemption certificates where applicable.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate address/contact information for all tax jurisdictions.
- Ensure monthly due date calendar signed by preparer and reviewer is in compliance to SOX and internal audit standards.
- Assist Sales and Use Tax Manager with monthly reconciliation process, internal audit requests, sales tax audit information requests and sales tax return reconciliations.
(a) Experience with sales tax, business licenses, exemption certificates and accounting systems is required.(Vertex/License HQ/CertCapture/Rentalman/Lawson/AQT preferred)
(b) Ability to analyze and interpret state and local tax laws and regulations.
(c) Capable of establishing working relationships with key internal and external customers.
(d) A high level of confidence, attention to detail and accuracy, while performing actions with integrity and sound judgment.
(e) Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
(f) Proficient use of Microsoft Office products required.
(g) Strong commitment and ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
(h) Ability to prioritize and manage time efficiently.
(i) Experience in leasing/rental industry helpful.
Back to top